5 Best Home Gyms For Small Spaces
The Best Home Gyms For Small Spaces
Besides getting your body healthy and fit, the gym is a nice place to get relief from boring routines and life’s daily demands. It’s essentially a place of escape for most people.
However, because of hectic work schedules and long traffic jams, it’s increasingly difficult to get to the gym while still fresh and motivated. Most people end up doing very little exercises in the gym due to exhaustion. If you’re among such people, buying a home gym may be the best solution for you.
Home gyms have many advantages. One advantage is that it can replace going to a gym, where gym membership can be a significant monthly cost upwards to over $300 a month. In addition, being it is in-home, the travel costs to the gym are substantially defrayed. But one of the greatest advantage of a home gym is the convenience of working out at our own time and pace. But there are challenges of having a home gym. When people think of home gyms small spaces don’t come to mind. Many don’t think they have the space to put a home gym in their home or apartment. We’ve solved this problem by finding for you the best compact home gym options that can, not only give you a full body workout, but also fit your small space.
Range of exercises
Body Boss Home Gym 2.0
Total Gym 1900
|Bowflex Xtreme 2SE Home Gym|
|Marcy MWM 990|
|Bodycraft XPress Pro 200lb. Single Stack Gym|
Top 5 Home Gyms For Your Small Space
BodyBoss Home Gym 2.0 – Full Portable Gym Home Workout Package
- Simulates $1000s of dollars worth of gym equipment
- Portable: Can be used in home, office or travel
- Fits perfectly in any home gym space, no matter the size
- Lightweight and Compact
- Includes resistance bands and wrist straps
- 300+ exercises that can vary in resistance and difficulty
- Full body workouts: Upper and Lower body exercises
- Raised over $1 Million dollars on Kickstart and Indiegogo
Body Boss Home gym 2.0 is the ultimate home or travel gym kit. It’s easily portable and it comes with a 12 week fitness guide. It promises 300+ exercises.
Body Boss Home gym 2.0 weighs approximately 17 lbs. It’s 20 Inches wide and 34 inches long when open and 20 Inches wide by 17 Inches long while folded. Body Boss comes with resistance bands, collapsible workout bars, straps for the wrist, straps for the ankle handles and door anchor. These accessories enable you to do over 300 varied exercises.
Depending on the package the bands could be 2-4, 30 Inches long. The base has non-slip grip floor padding. It also folds up and has retractable anchors. The bar rotates 360 degrees which makes the motions natural and easier. It has padding for grip ease and comfort.
Body Boss has got padded straps to harness comfort. They are also sweat resistant and fit all sizes of ankles and wrists. And when it comes to space usage, it’s one of the best small home gym equipment you can buy.
I doubt there’s a set as portable as Body Boss; you can literally exercise on the go. The various accessories also make it interesting to use. It’s like having all those huge gym equipment combined into one compact workout unit.
Each band has capacity to simulate between 0 and 30Lbs.
It’s a perfect replicate for a gym. It allows you to burn calories, do all types of resistance exercises at the comfort of your home. You can also adjust the resistance to make it harder or easier
Body boss allows you to do:
- Workout for the upper body
- Lower body exercises
- Cardio resistance exercises and
- Work-outs that focus on specific body parts
The handles of Body boss act as dumbbells in a real gym. To adjust fly weight, you clip or subtract additional bands.
The door anchor represents the triceps’ extensions, lat pull downs and chest flies. They lock securely to the door frame.
The resistance bands act an alternative to weights. They effectively tone your body and obviously energize and refresh you by enhancing blood flow.
Body boss is easily portable
It uses minimal space, making it ideal for travel, home or office.
It has various accessories for whole body work-out
It has a 1 year warranty
The bands make it unsuitable for dead lifts. Use squats as an alternative.
- Target multiple muscle groups – simultaneously
- Total body workout in 10-20 minutes
- 60 different exercises – cardio, strength, stretch – in one machine
- 12 calibrated levels allow for 3-45% body weight resistance
- Accommodates beginner to advanced fitness levels – ages 8 to 8
- 350 lb user weight capacity
- Folds for easy storage
- Arrives fully assembled
Total gym 1900 is deceptively easy to use, transport and store. It promises a whole body workout between 10 and 20 minutes by use of 60 different exercises.
It has 12 calibrated levels that allow between 3-45% resistances for body weight. It simultaneously tones and strengthens major body muscles. The glide board is ergonomic and has its handles enable you to work-out your abdominal muscles, upper and lower body. It has a user weight capacity of 350lb
Its wing and leg attachments assist you to focus on the arms and legs. It offers 60+ different kinds of exercises. It’ 7 Ft. long when unfolded.
- Total Gym 1900 accommodates all levels of fitness. It can be used by people between 8 and 80 years
- It accommodates over 60 different exercises
- Enables full body work-out in an average 20 minutes
- Due to its weight, it’s cumbersome to use and fold back.
- 70+ exercises that cover the entire body
- 210 lbs. of Power Rod® resistance, upgradeable to 310 lbs. or 410 lbs.
- Multiple cable/pulley positions with the Quick Change Power Rod® system
- Bowflex® provides 7 free trainer built workout regimens
- Heavy-duty steel construction frame offering long-term durability
- Ergonomic adjustable seat with polyurethane high-density foam cushion
- Ab training strap, squat bar and lat bar included
- 5-way hand-grip/ankle cuffs
Bowflex Xtreme 2SE Home Gym is probably the most convenient compact model by Xtreme. From bringing you high-performance work-out at the comfort of your home to saving space; plus it’s quick to change power rod system. This is a versatile machine that allows you to perform over 70 routines covering legs, arms, shoulders, back, and chest.
BowFlex Xtreme 2SE dimensions are 50W X 83H X 56L Inches with a shipping weight of 240lbs.
It comes with 5-way ankle cuffs that also serve as hand grip.
The ergonomically designed adjustable seats make it super comfortable. The power rod is made up of a durable composite material. It comes set with a resistance of 210Lbs with allowance to upgrade up to 410 Lbs.
It comes with 7 trainers’- built fitness workouts regimens and allows over 70 body exercises. The equipment comes with a squat bar and a lat bar plus an abs training strap. And with its small footprint it fits nicely into any small home gym layout.
The 70 full body exercises will perfectly meet your fitness goals. The pack comes with ergonomically designed adjustable seats, (this will make you stable and helps you keep the pressure off your back).
It’s also made with polyurethane high-density foam cushion to improve your comfort during the workout.
Bowflex Xtreme comes with a well detailed, descriptive exercise manual. The exercise that it offers highly improves the biceps, triceps, wrist, hips, calves, and muscles lower-back. What else could you ask for?
In addition, Bowflex Xtreme 2SE is made with heavy-duty steel. This makes it highly durable. Its compact size and design, makes it easy to fit in an office or home.
- Flexible to switch between different exercises.
- The Xtreme 2SE is easy to disassemble in case of moving to a new home or office.
- It comes with an additional squat bar and an Ab crunch for shoulder harnessing.
- Xtreme 2SE saves time due to its no-change system. It also maintains your heart rate as you continue with exercise.
- Helps to build shoulder and back muscles using the lat integrated tower.
- Due to heavyweights, it’s not easily portable and the rod may lose its firmness.
- Its back is not adjustable.
- It is a bit expensive though the price is fair considering what the machine has to offer.
- For the experienced strong athlete, 210lbs of resistance may not be enough for them.
Marcy 150-lb Multifunctional Home Gym Station
- Comes with a 150-pound selectorized weight stack that can be customized according to your skill level
- Designed with dual action press arms, this versatile equipment allows you to perform chest press and vertical butterfly exercises
- to avoid the stresses of loading and unloading weight plates with a safety lock that prevents unauthorized use of equipment
- features ergonomically designed seats with high-density boxed upholstery to reduce tension and impact
- Heavy-duty steel tubing and reinforced with guard rods that hold weight in place during workouts.
- Safety lock incduded to prevent unauthorized use of equipment.
The gym lovers will attest to this darling’s performance. Marcy is made with heavy duty steel with a total weight of 150lb. This is a strength building machine highly recommended for burning calories and muscle mass increase.
MWM 990 home gym weighs 268 pounds and measures 62 X 43 X 78 Inches. If you are looking to tone your chest muscles, this machine has dual-function well padded press arms which you use for chest fly exercises with grand comfort.
It comes with a preacher curl pad (adjustable) to help you tone your triceps and abs. Marcy also has a dual-leg developer that is conveniently aligned to your knee joints. This aids leg curls and extensions.
You don’t need to keep loading and unloading weight plates. The multi-position cables and pulleys both high and low are conveniently connected to an adjustable 150lb weight stacking to enhance comfortable and controlled body exercises. With all these features squeezed into a small footprint, this may be the best home gym for small space fans and for those looking for apartment sized exercise equipment.
The heavy duty steel makes it durable
Saves times as you do not need to load and unload weights. The cables and pulleys connect to a weight selecting stack
It can be noisy though the coated plates assist to minimize it.
The weight is a challenge during movement
Bodycraft Xpress Pro Home Gym
- Bench Press Station with adjustable starting point
- Cable Station with adjustable arms
- Seat and seat back are adjustable
- The Bodycraft Xpress cable arms utilize pulleys and cables for unrestricted, completely natural, and biomechanically correct movement
Body Craft Xpress Pro 200lb single stack gym; w/FCA is a greatly developed trainer level home accessory that aids a wide range of exercises. It’s good for both training and regular practices to keep the body physically fit.
It has an adjustable seat that any user regardless of the height can comfortably use. It comes with a remote handle which enables one to squeeze to the desired height and exercise without strain.
It has a high pulley for lat pull downs and triceps pushdowns. This helps in exercising the upper body with a comfortable grip. It also has a low pulley to ensure that the legs curl evenly and extend as desired.
Its exclusive double up feature has the press attachment which extends to 400lbs. The resistance is increased at a ratio of 1:2.
It has a uniquely built back, able to adjust both front and back to enable full support. To reduce back strain, the back is made of a soft but comfortable material.
With the pivot points that are thoroughly lubricated internally and sealed, it enables the joints to operate smoothly thus making the performance exceptional.
- Easy to use
- Classy yet standard.
- Manageable weight of 200lbs.
- Takes less space in the home yet offers a wide variety of exercises.
- The unit has an attachment of an easily understood chart showing various ways that it can be used.
- A lifetime warranty.
- The assembly process can be a tedious exercise especially if the room that it’s assembled has a low ceiling.
Selecting Your Desired Workout Method
- Cardio fitness equipment
- Strength fitness equipment
Cardio fitness equipment comprises a treadmill, elliptical trainers, stationary bikes, rowing machines, stair steppers etc.
Strength fitness equipment comprises a mechanical shoulder press, leg press, barbells and dumbbells.
Top 5 Factors To Consider
- Your likes, discipline and fitness level:
What are the chances that you will use a stationary bike if you already hate riding? That will most likely be an outright waste of money. Consider choosing equipment that motivates you.
Discipline cannot be taught. Acknowledge that getting the home gym is one step but it requires daily effort to use it. A paid gym motivates because there is an instructor, and other people with similar need to motivate you. At home, you are your own motivator.
It’s definitely hard to start something than to continue with an already established schedule. Consider getting equipment that can accommodate your fitness level and help you to keep growing.
- Cost. This can be broken down into three aspects:
- Is it worth it to buy a home gym? How much are you saving considering your normal expenses, that is, gym membership fees, gym transport costs to and from? Are you saving time?
- The cost of purchasing or leasing the machine. Research widely on various equipment and their prices. How much are you willing to spend on the equipment? Is it a lifetime investment or is it short term? Do you have a lease option?
- Maintenance cost. Inquire whether the manufactures supplies replaceable parts and at what cost. Also whether they have technicians on board who can service the equipment and an average cost for repairs.
- Storage and exercise space
Some equipment can be easily folded back after use and stored while others cannot. Designate a place with sufficient space for maneuvering. If the equipment is foldable, organize a storage drawer or a wall to hang the accessories.
Note each equipment space requirement. Check the specified dimensions and consider how much space you want to surrender for exercising. It would be best if you have a designated corner specifically for that purpose.
- Your fitness goals
Fitness goals range from abs toning, building muscles, and weight reduction and so on. Knowing which parts of your body need workouts will certainly assist you to choose accessories that will help meet your goals.
- The capacity of the equipment
The number of exercises per equipment varies widely; Body Boss for example has over 300 routines while Total Gym 1900 has 60+ exercises. Some home gyms are good at weight reduction but not as efficient with muscle toning. It’s important to choose a gym whose capacity matches your need.
Now that you have your equipment choice, get ready to work. Don’t be fooled by the ‘easy to use’ phrase. It obviously doesn’t mean no-sweat. In exercising easy, quick results are not realistic.
Gyms are meant for working out. Muscle building and toning takes regular exercise. Gaining that discipline takes time. Here are few tips to help you make the best use of your home gym.
- Start working out at a scheduled time.
If you plan to be working out between 5 am and 6 am, start waking up early and exercising, you can get a DVD to help you with simple home routines like aerobics.
- Consciously study your body rhythm
There are those body parts you want to diligently work on. Seek to know if your designated home gym offers suitable exercise for such workouts. Some equipment work more efficiently on specific parts. For example, you can get equipment that works best on chest toning.
- Test your aspired home gym at your local gym
Avoid blindly trusting the commercials and online product review 100%. Go to your local gym and actually use the equipment to know how it feels and how you can make the best use of it. Something like test drive.
- Go through the FAQs on the website
Frequently asked questions by other consumers enable you to clear your doubts and get enlightened on the equipment. You can relate other consumers concerns with yours and get to know the solutions.
Online consumer reviews can also help you to understand the equipment better though not as trustworthy as the FAQs.
- Lastly, examine the conditions for sale
These may include the warranty, shipping, return policy and taxes. Also, confirm whether you will need assistance to assemble.
Final Thoughts …
Any gym will be hectic if you are starting out. Always warm up as you start. Avoid diving direct into extreme exercise. You can do a few stretches as you begin. Build up slowly but consistently.
Taking breaks will also help you enjoy your home gym, exercise in intervals say, ten minutes for each interval.
Finally, get training instructions, some gyms come with a DVD player illustrating how to best use your equipment. You can also get these DVDs at your local store.
Conclusion: The Best Home Gyms For Small Spaces
We hope our reviews of the best home gyms for your space has helped you find the best equipment for your needs. On top of that, hopefully the practical points we added helps you to better understand what you REALLY need WHY so this way your purchase has the most benefit. Feel free to look through our site for any other space saving ideas.