Best Countertop Dishwashers
One of the house chores that most people rank as their least favorite is doing the dishes. Washing dishes can prove to be a very difficult and boring task, especially after you have had guests over. And, just how annoying it even become when people keep adding plates while you are washing them.
To save you all this trouble, you would do well to get your home a dishwasher. With a dishwasher, you will never be stressed over having too many guests over, or even seeing your family members use so many plates. After all, the dishwasher will do all the dishes for you efficiently, and with no complaint at all.
One of the most recommended type of dishwasher is the countertop dishwasher, also known as a compact or portable dishwasher. The main difference between a countertop dishwasher and a full-size dishwasher is that; the former has more portability, consumes lesser energy and is more compact. So, just why should you buy a countertop dishwasher? And, if you happen to purchase one, how can you make the most out of it? Read along to find out.
The Benefits of Countertop Dishwashers
These compact dishwashers are most popular for their small, compact size. They take up less space, which means that they can even be fitted into the most cramped living spaces. Small apartments and kitchens can, therefore, benefit from having a compact dishwasher. Furthermore, their small size makes it possible to fit them into recreational vehicles and boats.
Compared with the full-size dishwashers, compact dishwashers go for relatively cheaper prices, making them more affordable. More so, due to their small size, compact dishwashers consume less electricity, soap and water when washing the plates. Their reduced consumption of utilities makes them very cost-saving and easily manageable.
Most countertop dishwashers are also portable. Portable countertop dishwashers are usually designed with wheels, such that they can be rolled and put away when they are not being used. However, whether a countertop/compact dishwasher is portable or not, the bottom line is that; countertop dishwashers will always save a person the time and stress of doing the dishes by hand.
8 Best Reviewed Countertop Dishwashers
There are hundreds of countertop dishwasher options available in the market today. This is why choosing the best countertop dishwasher tends to be quite difficult for most. However, we’ve done all the research for you, and the following are the 8 best reviewed countertop/compact dishwashers we found in the market with a highlight on the four best:
HomeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher
The homeLabs dishwasher is ranked as the best countertop dishwasher that a person can buy. Being a compact dishwasher, it takes up very little space (having dimensions of 17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches). It can, therefore, be set up on a tabletop or countertop. It is also Energy Star certified, meaning that it consumes less electricity and saves on energy.
The hOmeLabs countertop dishwasher is very use to use. It is designed with a control panel and several light indicators, which are all user friendly. The program selector of this dishwasher includes 6 different options of wash cycle.
These 6 available wash cycle options cover almost all the dishwashing needs that a person can have. If a person intends to postpone the wash cycle, they can simply press the delay button incorporated in the countertop dishwasher.
The assembling process of the hOmeLabs dishwasher is very simple and does not require any tools. The dishwasher package comes with an inlet, a faucet adapter and a drain hose. The included faucet adapter is mainly intended for those water lines that can only be fitted to faucet outlets with round shapes, and have aerators which can be removed.
More so, this countertop dishwasher cleans and rinses dishes perfectly. It does not leave any streaks or marks on the utensils. However, you should only use the rinse aids designed for this dishwasher, so as to avoid damaging it.
- A convenient and small Energy Star certified dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after dinner or cooking. Simply load the dishes in the dish basket and cutlery rack and let this white dishwasher do the dirty job. Easily sits on countertops or tabletop requiring less space
- With simple to use control panel and light indicators. Program selector has 6 wash cycle options: heavy, normal, ECO, glass, speed, and rinse for your different dishwashing needs. Delay button light to postpone wash cycle
- Features a quick connect assembly with accessories including inlet and drain hose and a faucet adapter for water lines that are compatible with round-shaped faucet outlets with removable aerators, and 55/64"-27 male or 15/16"-27 female threads underneath
- Using the rinse aid dispenser, you can dry your plates, mugs, and glass quickly without the marks or streaks. Only use rinse aids designed for an automatic dishwasher to prevent damaging your dishwasher. An indicator light will let you know when to refill the dispenser
- This counter top appliance measures 17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches with 6 standard place setting capacity perfect for small size household or individuals living in apartments with limited space for huge kitchen appliances
EdgeStar DWP62SV 6 Place Setting Energy Star Rated Portable Half Drawer Dishwasher
The EdgeStar countertop dishwasher is quite a small dishwasher, with a height of slightly over 17 inches. Its compact design makes it possible to fit the dishwasher in small kitchen spaces, such as, under the cabinetry. Also, due to the portable nature of the EdgeStar countertop dishwasher, permanent installation is not required.
One of the major advantages about this countertop dishwasher is that it is very energy-saving. The EdgeStar dishwasher is known to consume only up to 200 kilowatt hours, per year. This is 61% less energy, compared to other compact dishwashers. Not only does the dishwasher save on electricity, but it also uses little water. This dishwasher therefore saves its users money spent on water and energy utilities.
7 different wash cycles are incorporated in the EdgeStar countertop dishwasher. It is also designed to hold a maximum of 6 place settings. Furthermore, a cutlery basket and a shelf for holding cups are built into the structure of the dishwasher.
The interior of this countertop dishwasher is made using stainless steel. The use of stainless steel material makes the dishwasher both highly durable and resistant to corrosion. It is built with a very powerful spray arm, which deeply and thoroughly washes the loaded utensils.
The built-in water heater, combined with the heavy wash cycle of the EdgeStar dishwasher, boost the water temperatures to 149 degrees Fahrenheit. These high temperatures kill all the germs and bacteria in the dishes, ensuring a thorough cleansing of the utensils.
- Six (6) standard place setting capacity / Includes dish rack, cup shelf, and cutlery basket
- Holds plates up to 10.5" in diameter / Seven (7) wash cycles / Quick connect adapter fits standard sized kitchen faucets / Beautiful digital display
- Stainless steel interior / Fits under most cabinetry / Water consumption (normal wash): 2.85 gallons
- Power: 1160 W/5.7 A / Input voltage: 120 V/60 Hz / Noise level: 52.3dB; Warranty: 1 year parts; 90 days labor / Dimensions: WxDxH 21 5/8" (550mm) x 19 5/8" (498mm) x 17 5/16" (440mm)
- PLEASE NOTE: Do not use hand dish detergent, detergent pods, or tabs. This will cause the dishwasher to overflow
Farberware FDW05ASBWHA Complete Portable Countertop Dishwasher with 5-Liter Built-in Water Tank
The compact design of the Farberware FDW05ASBWHA countertop dishwasher makes it very convenient for use in small living spaces, boats and even campers. It can be loaded with different varieties of dishes, up to a maximum of 12 inches in diameter.
No hook ups are required for this type of countertop dishwasher. This is because the Farberware FDW05ASBWHA is designed to give the user the option of filling up the built-in tank. This option adds to the portability and storage advantage of this countertop dishwasher. Furthermore, a water hose is built into the structure of the dishwasher, facilitating the direct hookup of water to the kitchen faucet.
All the spray arms of the Farberware FDW05ASBWHA countertop dishwasher have a deep cleansing power. Therefore, the user of this particular dishwasher can rest assured that their utensils will be left sparkling clean. Farberware FDW05ASBWHA is also designed with 5 wash cycle programs.
Like the name suggests, the Baby Care wash cycle is mainly designed for washing utensils meant for babies. This cycle generates steam, which not only sanitizes baby bottles, but also provides a sparkling clean finish to glassware. On the other hand, the rapid wash cycle provides a quick cleaning and drying of utensils, cleaning all items in only 40 minutes.
The fruit Wash cycle allows for cleaning of fruits and vegetables. When these are cleaned, they can be placed on the fruit basket built in the structure of the Farberware FDW05ASBWHA. Furthermore, this dishwasher is designed with an air exchange and refresh function, which enhances drying of the utensils and prevents the development of any peculiar odors in the dishwasher.
- QUALITY CONTROL NOTE All dishwashers are factory tested to ensure proper operation As a result it is normal for small amounts of residual water to be found in the unit
- COMPACT DESIGN: This convenient dishwasher can fit a variety of dishes (up to 12-inches in diameter at an angle) and is ideal for small-sized houses, apartments, dorms, boats and campers/RVs
- NO HOOKUPS NEEDED: If you want the advantage of portability and storage, this dishwasher gives you the choice to fill the built-in tank so you don't need a water hookup. Water hose is included for a direct water hookup to kitchen faucet (adapter not included)
- FIVE WASHING PROGRAMS: You'll get full size dishwasher cleaning in a countertop sized compact unit that offers five wash programs - Normal, Rapid, Fruit Wash, Baby Care and Glass. Lower and upper spray arms give dishes that streak-free deep cleaning
- STEAM: Steam generated during the Baby Care cleaning cycle can be used to sanitize baby bottles and give glassware a sparkling clean finish
Danby DDW631SDB Countertop Dishwasher
The Danby DDW631SDB countertop dishwasher is a very unique and stylish type of dishwasher. Unlike most countertop dishwashers, it utilizes very little water in its wash cycle. A normal wash cycle by the Danby DDW631SDB records water consumption of just 3.1 gallons of water (11.7 liters). The lesser water consumption of this countertop dishwasher makes it very cost-saving.
The design of the Danby DDW631SDB countertop dishwasher includes 6 different settings. The built-in LED display is used to program and monitor these different settings of the dishwasher.
The assembling and installation process of the Danby DDW631SDB dishwasher is also very simple. This process only calls for a quick and simple hooking of the dishwasher onto any kitchen tap. This countertop dishwasher also includes a delay button feature, which allows postponing of doing the dishes for 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours.
This particular countertop dishwasher is very simple to clean and maintain. The simplicity of its maintenance is due to the use of durable stainless steel in making its interior. Furthermore, the Danby DDW631SDB countertop dishwasher is designed with dispensers for auto detergents and the rinse agent, which make it easier to clean the dishwasher.
- Compact space saving countertop dishwasher with a quick connect feature compatible with most kitchen faucets
- 6 place setting capacity with silverware basket
- Energy star compliant and low water consumption up to 3.1 gallons of water (11.7L) per wash to help save you money
- 8 wash cycles ranging from Heavy, Normal, Rinse, Rapid, Glass and Soak, Baby bottle, Eco
- Delay start option by 2,4,6 or 8 hours
BLACK+DECKER BCD6W 6 Place Setting ENERGY STAR Portable Compact Countertop Dishwasher
The BLACK+DECKER Countertop Dishwasher is a compact type of dishwasher, but still offers plenty of loading room, as well as many advanced features. Its small size makes it possible to install it under almost every available kitchen cabinetry, or on standard countertops and table tops with limited spaces.
This countertop dishwasher can accommodate a maximum of 6 place settings, which includes even dinner plates, up to a maximum of 10 inches in diameter. It is also designed with 7 different wash cycle programs, such that it can be used for almost all the dishwashing needs. More so, this appliance ensures a fast and efficient cleaning of the dishes. The fast cleansing of the dishes is made possible by the built-in water hookup and drains, which provide a faster functioning of the BLACK+DECKER Compact Countertop Dishwasher.
The base of this countertop dishwasher is designed with wheels. This makes the BLACK+DECKER Compact Countertop Dishwasher portable. It can, therefore, be easily moved and stored away when not in use. The dishwasher is also incorporated with a delayed start option, which can be used in cases where the user is forced to postpone washing of the dishes.
For added security, this countertop dishwasher is designed with a child lock, so as to ensure that young ones and pets are kept safe from the dishwasher. The BLACK+DECKER Compact Countertop Dishwasher also has an ENERGY STAR certification, which guarantees its energy-saving aspect. It is no wonder that this particular countertop dishwasher is ranked among the top of Amazon’s choices.
- 6-place setting capacity
- Accommodates dinner plates up to 10"
- 7 wash programs—intensive/normal/eco/glass/90 min/rapid/soak
- Delayed start option up to 24 hours
- LED display with electronic touch controls
Ensue Countertop Dishwasher Portable Compact Dishwashing Machine
Despite its small stature, the Ensue Countertop Dishwasher provides a very convenient and efficient cleaning of utensils. It takes up very little space, which makes it possible to even set it up on countertops or tabletops.
The installation process of the dishwasher is very easy. If it is to be placed on the kitchen countertop, then simply use the quick connect kit to connect it to the kitchen faucet. From the faucet, water can be drained directly to the kitchen sink. The countertop dishwasher package usually comes with a faucet adapter.
It is very easy to use the Ensue Countertop Dishwasher. In order to use it, simply set the utensils in the built-in dish basket and cutlery rack, and the dishwasher will then run and clean all the utensils on its own. The ease of use of this countertop dishwasher is also due to the fact that the controls are very easy to set, while the dispensers for the detergent and rinse aids are usually filled with ease.
This countertop dishwasher is Energy Star certified. It utilizes very little electricity, saving on the user’s energy bills. The Ensue Countertop Dishwasher also includes 6 place settings, making it just the ideal dishwasher for use by the smaller households.
- Cleans As You Go - A convenient and small dish washing machine for cleaning the dishes after dinner or cooking. Simply load the dishes in the dish basket and cutlery rack and let this white dishwasher do the dirty job. Easily sits on countertops or tabletop requiring less space
- Easy To Use - Load your dishes and set the controls with ease. The detergent and rinse aid dispensers are easy to fill. (Energy Star Certified)
- User Friendly Controls - The simple to use control panel and light indicators features a power button, start/end program, program selector, heavy, normal, light, miniparty, rinse and speed
- Compact For Small Kitchens - 6 standard place setting capacity perfect for small size household or individuals living in apartments with limited space for huge kitchen appliances
- Easy To Install - When placing it on a counter, the quick connect kit temporarily connects the dishwasher to your kitchen faucet where it drains directly into the kitchen sink (Faucet adapter is included)
Farberware FCD06ASSWHB Countertop Dishwasher
This is one of the most recommended dishwashers for small living spaces, due to its small compact design. The dishwasher can be safely set on a countertop or a tabletop. It usually holds a maximum of 6 place settings, which make it possible to wash different sizes of utensils. This countertop dishwasher also includes 7 different wash cycle options.
The Farberware FCD06ASSWHB countertop dishwasher is very easy to use. The built-in digital controls are very user-friendly, and allow quick and simple operation of the dishwasher. The installation process of the dishwasher is also very simple. The accessories and adapters needed for the assembling process are usually included in the package.
An extra-drying feature is also added to the Farberware FCD06ASSWHB dishwasher. This function feature works by adding extra heat in the final rinsing process, such that drying of the utensils is enhanced. However, this function only works with 5 of the wash cycle programs.
Speed washing of the utensils can also be easily achieved with this countertop dishwasher. This is made possible by the speed cycle incorporated in the structure, which effectively cleans all loaded utensils in just 45 minutes. In addition, a self cleaning program is included in this dishwasher. This program effectively cleans the entire dishwasher by itself, saving the user time and effort which would have otherwise been spent cleaning the dishwasher by hand.
Farberware FCD06ASSWHB is made using heavy duty stainless steel. It is, therefore, a highly durable countertop dishwasher, which can last for many years without ever rusting.
- COMPACT DESIGN: This convenient dishwasher has a 6-place setting capacity, making it ideal for small-sized houses, apartments, dorms, boats and campers/RVs
- SIX-PLACE SETTING: The six-place setting capacity allows you to wash a variety of dishes (up to 10-inches in diameter) and includes folding down rack shelves and a cutlery basket
- QUICK INSTALLATION: Features a quick connect assembly with accessories and adapters included to easily connect directly to your faucet
- SEVEN WASHING PROGRAMS: You'll get full size dishwasher cleaning in a countertop sized compact unit that offers seven wash programs - Heavy, Normal, Baby Care, Light, Glass, Speed 45 Min, Self Clean.Voltage:80 volts
- EXTRA-DRYING FUNCTION: This feature adds extra heat to the final rinse to enhance drying results, but can only be used with the following programs - Heavy, Normal, Light, Glass, Baby Care
DELLA Compact Mini Dishwasher with 6 Wash Cycles
DELLA Compact Mini Dishwasher is another ideal dishwasher for homes, or boats, with limited spaces. It is very easy to use; all that you are required to do is to simply load the dishes, and the countertop dishwasher will do the rest of the work for you. Also, both the dispensers for detergents and rinse aids can be filled very easily.
When the DELLA Compact Mini Dishwasher has finished a wash cycle, the end-of-cycle signal lets the user know. This end-of-cycle signal is usually triggered by the LED display included in the appliance, which functions to count down the wash cycle progress.
More so, the control panel and light indicators of this particular countertop dishwasher are very user friendly. These controls are designed with several features that are very easy to understand, for instance, start and end programs, power button, a display screen, as well as a push button. Also, if the user decides to postpone the washing, they can simply press the delay button feature included in the dishwasher.
The interior of the DELLA Compact Mini Dishwasher is built using stainless steel. Stainless steel gives the interior of the countertop dishwasher a sparkling clean look. Furthermore, it ensures the durability and high resistance of the dishwasher against corrosion. Washing of utensils by this dishwasher can be said to be very dependable, since the powerful spray arms of the dishwasher offer a deep cleansing of the loaded items.
- Compact For Small Kitchens - This countertop appliance is perfect for small sized household or individuals living in apartments, RV, or boat with limited space for huge kitchen appliances
- Easy To Use - Load your dishes and set the controls with ease. The detergent and rinse aid dispensers are easy to fill. The LED display counts down the cycle progress and the end-of-cycle signal lets you know when your dishes are done
- User Friendly Controls - The simple to use control panel and light indicators features a power button, start/end program, program selector, delay button, start/pause, water faucet indicator, rinse aid warning light, and display screen
- Heavy Duty Performance - Durable stainless steel interior, spray arm deliver many years of powerful, dependable washing; safe for temperatures up to 148°F
- Easy To Install - When placing it on a counter, the quick connect kit connects the dishwasher to your kitchen faucet where it drains directly into the kitchen sink
How to Get the Most Out of your Half Drawer Dishwasher Purchase
Just like other household appliances, half drawer dishwashers tend to become less effective after years of use. Most people even reach a point where they are forced to handwash the dishes, before and after loading them on the dishwasher. In order to prevent this from happening, follow the following tips on how to get the most out of your compact dishwasher purchase;
a.) Proper Use
Before you can load dishes on your compact dishwasher, first scrape off food bits from the dishes. Doing so will help in reducing any particles that are stuck on the dishes, after the dishwasher has washed them.
Do not overload the dishwasher, as this could lead to poor washing of the dishes by the dishwasher. Simply handwash those extra plates.
Always use the correct wash cycle, even if it takes more time and utilizes more water. For those dishes that are super dirty, wash them by hand.
The most recommended temperature for your dishwasher’s water heater is 120-125 degrees. Increasing the temperature could lead to the water flashing dry, hence failing to roll off the dishes.
Remember that it is not every utensil that can be washed in a countertop dishwasher. The most delicate utensils should be handwashed instead.
b.) Safety Tips
Sharp utensils, such as, knives and forks, should always be placed with their points down in the dishwasher utensil basket.
When loading glassware on the dishwasher, place them very carefully so as to prevent their breaking/chipping. Place them in such a way that they do not rattle against each other.
After the countertop dishwasher has completed a wash cycle, allow it to cool for some minutes. Reaching in immediately could expose you to steam, which could burn you.
After the dishes have been loaded or unloaded from the dishwasher, make sure to close the door. Doing so will eliminate the risk of other people falling over the countertop dishwasher.
The dispenser cups of a countertop dishwasher should only be filled when a person is ready to start using the dishwasher.
Dishwashing detergents should never be mixed with other detergents/cleaning products. Mixing these could result to irritating fumes released by the dishwasher.
Always be careful that dishwashing detergents do not come into direct contact with your clothes, or skin.
Ensure that you run/use your countertop dishwasher regularly. Regular use of the dishwasher will ensure that much debris does not settle at its bottom, in turn reducing the frequency in which you will be required to thoroughly clean it.
Regularly check for debris accumulated in the holes of the dishwasher, as well as how the arms are spinning. Accumulated debris in the holes, as well as arms that are not spinning properly could lead to poor cleaning of the dishes.
From time to time, clean the edges around the dishwasher’s door with a damp cloth. This is because spills and food debris tend to accumulate in these areas, causing a bad odor in the appliance.
In order to prevent food debris from accumulating and clogging the dishwasher’s drain, regularly clean the drain. This is usually located at the bottom-most part of the countertop dishwasher.
However much we hate doing the dishes, these still have to be done. Yet, you don’t really have to go through all the stress of bending and handwashing your utensils. A countertop dishwasher will efficiently do the dishes for you, while saving on your electricity and water bills at the same time. So, get yourself and your loved ones one of the above discussed must-have countertop dishwashers, and your dishes will always have the brightest sparkle.