The Beauty of Cedar Chests
Cedar chests are simply beautiful and have many benefits. In the past, cedar chests have been used to store fabrics like quilts, sheets, and dresses that needed to be preserved, like wedding dresses. Today, cedar chests are used for the same thing. Anything that you wish to preserve and be safe should be stored in a cedar chest.
The Benefits of Cedar Chests
Cedar chests have plenty of benefits and will be a great addition to your home. The benefits include:
• Appearance. If you want something that will stand out and add storage, a cedar chest is for you. With its beautiful natural color that allows the wood grain to shine through, you will have a unique piece of furniture.
• Pest protection. When you have quilts, fabrics, and other things stored in your cedar chest, you do not have to worry about pests. The cedar naturally repels them.
• Aroma. The sweet smell of cedar will add a unique fragrance to your room.
• Sustainability. The cedar wood that is used to create the chests is usually found in controlled forest areas. This allows you to have a piece of furniture that was created with the environment in mind.
• Durability. Cedarwood is extremely sturdy. It can be put under a lot of pressure, and it will not warp or have any issues. If you have many heavy items that need to be stored, the cedar chest will be up to the job.
If you are looking for a storage chest and want to go with something unique that can protect your items, consider getting a cedar chest. These chests will help to protect anything you store within them and stand up for many years without any issues. You can find cedar chests in various sizes to help to accommodate whatever you need to be stored.
Rustic Red Door Co. Cedar Chest with Waterfall Top
This cedar chest is handcrafted in the USA and measures 46 ” “L x 20″ ” D x 21 ” “H which is lined with cedar bottom. The best thing about this cedar chest is that it features a locking lid with a key to help you store blankets, photo albums.
This wooden chest is made from durable maple wood which is more robust, stiffer and more complex than other hardwoods. So place this locking wooden chest in your living room, bedroom for extra storage. Hurry up the cedar-lined storage chest is selling quickly, purchase one for your home today.
- AMISH MADE CEDAR CHEST: The Rustic Red Door Cedar Storage Chests are handcrafted with care to ensure the highest quality. This chest is made with Rustic Hickory Wood with a Cedar bottom. The RRD chest features a Boston stain to enhance the Rustic Hickory’s natural beauty. PLEASE NOTE: This chest takes 4-6 weeks to ship.
- WATERFALL STORAGE CHEST: This handmade Cedar Chest is designed with a rounded, waterfall top and a scalloped bottom. The large chest measures 46" L x 20" D x 21" H and is lined with a cedar bottom. Cedar naturally helps protect your stored linens to keep them fresh and clean.
- ANTI-SLAM HINGES & LOCK WITH KEY: This large Blanket Storage Chest is designed with anti-slam hinges to prevent the lid from slamming onto the chest. The hinges will prolong the life and integrity of your wooden chest. We’ve also built a lock into the lid. Whether you store blankets, photo albums, or surprise presents your items will remain untouched and safe.
- MADE WITH SOLID BROWN MAPLE WOOD: This Wooden Chest is made from durable Brown Maple Wood. Maple Wood is known for being stronger, stiffer, harder, and denser than other hardwoods. This strong, dependable wood helps to resist knocks, scratches, dents, and other abuse from wear and tear.
- HIGH-QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP: We visited farms throughout Ohio’s Amish country, building relationships with the finest woodworkers. Our goal is to create handcrafted American-made furniture and home décor that will be valued, cherished and handed down from generation to generation.
Amish Cedar Chest, Waterfall Top
The main thing that the lock is designed into the top, and it comes with a key to keep your valuable items secure and safe. Due to its rustic design, it can be useful as a blanket chest or hope chest.
It is made from 100% solid cedar. So don’t think just check out this charming and beautiful chest that will bring joy for years to come.
- Brown Maple Wood and cedar bottom
- Natural Stain
- Quality GENUINE Amish Craftsmanship
- Waterfall Top w/ Anti-slam hinges and lock/key
- 46"L x 20"D x 21"H
Louis Philippe Cedar Chest Warm Brown
With a warm brown finish, this cedar chest is versatile and sophisticated for every user. You don’t’ have to think about protection at all because this cedar chest offers extra protection with its perfectly crafted cedar lined interior.
Overall, this product’s dimensions are 20″ H x 47″ W x 17″ D that makes it an easy choice for your home. Make this cedar storage chest an anchor piece for a hallway or place it in a master suite, the option is yours.
- Set includes: One (1) cedar chest
- Materials: Particle board, wood veneer and MDF
- Finish Color: Warm Brown
- Assembly Required: Yes
- Cedar lined
Coaster Home Furnishings Cedar Chest in Honey
You will get enough space for all your seasoned bed linens or fairly heirlooms with this cedar chest. This cedar chest has a honey brown finish that will make your bright and sunny bedroom even more gorgeous.
One thing that makes this cedar chest, even more, is its locking lid that will help you to keeps out prying eyes and fingers when hiding gifts and surprises. So if you are looking for a perfect cedar chest, this product will perfectly fit your wallet and bedroom.
- Set includes: One (1) cedar chest
- Materials: Particle board
- Finish Color: Honey
- Assembly Required: Yes
- No locking mechanism
BOWERY HILL Cedar Blanket Chest in Warm Brown
You can keep all your collection of seasonal bedding or family albums in this wood chest as it roomy enough.
It comes with a lid key so that you can even hide your surprises or gifts for an upcoming birthday. I am sure you will be pleased with this storage piece. This product’s overall dimensions are 18.5″ H x 40″ W x 16″ D. It has a warm brown, rich finish that will make your mood happy.
- Finish: Warm Brown
- Material: Particle Board, Wood Veneer, MDF
- Cedar lined
- Frame Construction: KD construction
- Style: Traditional
Powell Furniture Chadwick Cedar Chest in Cherry
This cedar chest features decorative moulding and has a cherry finish with child-safe hinges and breathe holes to ensure all children’s safety. This product’s overall dimension is 4.5′ L x 16.75″ W x 18″ H, which makes it perfect for any bedroom. So add a timeless classic to your home with the Powell Chadwick Chest.
- Features decorative Molding
- Top opens wide
- Hinges are child safe
- Included components: Furniture Parts and Hardware
Rhino Trunk and Case Knotty Cedar Trunk
This cedar chest is constructed from the highest quality components. It is easily stowed and can be securely locked to insure the safety of personal items. When locked, it’s tough to break into.
Proudly made in the USA, the cedar chest’s quality is rugged, which makes it ideal for home, storage, furnishings, toy trunk, a hope chest, and many more.
- Natural 3/8" non-aromatic western Red Knotty cedar exterior.
- All hardware is heavy duty nickel plated Steel, including lid hinges, lid stay, and a stylish trunk Lock that has a Loop for attaching a padlock. Each trunk also includes genuine Leather handles on each end.
- Tight Fitting Steel tongue and Groove lid to base closure keeps out moisture, dirt, insects and odors.
- Strong hand-crafted Construction using both old world trunkmaking skills and advanced Aviation Rivet technology. American made.
- Includes two wheel adapter plates already mounted on the side of the trunk that allow wheels to be put on the trunk. These do not add any Height to the trunk. Wheels are sold separate from this page.
How To Restore A Cedar Chest
Cedar chests can be in a family through generations. Even though they are built to last, they tend to age as time goes by. to make them look good as new, you need to do some work on it. If it is your first time restoring a cedar chest, you might not know how to go about it. These few tips should come in handy for you:
Materials needed for restoration
The materials you will need to restore your chest are sandpaper or a sanding machine, good finings, a couple of brushes, and cedar oil. If you plan on staining it, get a couple of rags.
Carry out any repairs
To ensure that the chest looks as good as new, start by repairing it. It might involve fixing a few hinges or changing the handles. Do this before you go to the next step so that nothing looks bad once you are done. You might have to go to an antique store to get material that will fit with the chest design, so bear this in mind.
Sand it down
Sanding the chest is one of the things that will take the most time. While you might want to do this by hand, it is recommended that you get a sander as it will help the work go faster. Even with the sander, you might still need to do some areas like the feet with your hand, so get some sandpaper as well. Ensure you do thesis an open space to avoid getting sand bits in your eyes or on everything. Take your time with this, as the overall outcome will depend on how thorough you were at this point.
Pick the right stain
Once you have sanded the whole chest, you need to select the perfect stain for it. There are so many stains in the market, so take your time to see which one will work for you. If you are unsure of how the stain will appear, try out a couple of swatches at the store before buying one for you.
Stain the chest
Starting from the top to the bottom of the chest, apply your stain. You might need two rags for this, one of the rags to apply the stain and the second to wipe off the excess. Apply the stain in the direction of the wood grain. You can choose to apply one coat or two based on your preference. Start with one coat first before you layer on a second coat. Let the stain dry at least overnight before you move on to the next step.
The last step to finish everything off is to apply a sealant to the chest. There are various sealants in the market, so pick on based on your preference. However, it would be best if you were keen when applying this is the sealant’s potency. Most sealants are lethal and can cause drowsiness or breathing issues. Ensure you wear a mask when using it and do this in a well-ventilated area. If you can, apply it while outside. Get some quality natural bristles to ensure a quality application.
You can use oil instead of the stain to cover the wood. The good thing with cedar oil is your chest will go back to smelling like it used to when it was initially made.
While you can use synthetic bristles, natural bristles are preferred because they have a better effect. If you are using a water-based finish, on the other hand, use synthetic brushes as natural ones will absorb the finish.
An old chest can last a while. With regular retouches done to it, you can have it looking as good as new. The good thing with this is, you can easily do it yourself at home. It does not have to be an expensive venture altogether.