Why A Trundle Bed?
Also known as a truckle bed, a trundle bed is a type of a low bed, usually placed beneath a larger normal bed. It is designed with rollers, wheels or casters, which facilitate movement of the trundle bed in and out from under the parent bed. Trundle beds are usually rolled out to be used as just a normal bed by visitors and guests, or even kids. However, when they are rolled out, the trundle beds are usually at a lower height than the height of the bed under which they were placed.
Trundle beds are almost similar to bunk beds. Just like bunk beds, trundle beds provide a double sleeping space in a single piece of furniture. Even with so much available sleeping space, these beds only take up the same space as that taken by a regular twin-sized bed.
Trundle beds can have very many uses. During the day time, they can be used as daybeds, or alternatively as chaise lounges. This is because their dimensions are usually equal to that of a small couch. At night, a person can simply add pillows and beddings, then use them as beds.
Trundle beds come in a wide variety of designs, styles and make. Read along to find out the best reviewed trundle beds in the market today.
Best 3 Trundle Beds
Best Quality Furniture Full Bed W/Trundle, Dark gray
This trundle bed has been designed with a modern and classic make. A dark gray colored fabric is woven on the trundle bed’s headboard, side rails and panels as well as the footboard. Also, the stitches have been done in a dark grey color, which brings about a beautiful traditionally styled tufted design on the bed’s headboard.
In order to facilitate easy access and smooth movement from under the parent bed, the trundle bed has been built with wheels or rollers. These are usually provided beneath the trundle, such that the bed can be easily rolled out when needed.
The trundle bed also includes slats and rails, which provide additional support. It can be used with any mattress, however, box mattresses are not recommended. Setting up the trundle beds calls for some assembling process, which can be easily mastered. This dark gray trundle bed is indeed a classic addition to the bedroom.
- Dimensions: Bed: 81"L x 56"W x 41" H trundle: 74"L x 42"W x 13"H, shipped out in a total of one box
- This beautiful and very modern full-sized trundle bed is upholstered in dark gray woven fabric along the headboard, footboard , side rails and side panel of the trundle. The stitching comes in a dark gray color providing a tufted design along the headboard
- The headboard is given a tufted design with the same color stitching. The trundle is easily accesible and contains wheels for an easy glide outward
- Slats are provided with the bed as well as rails on the trundle bed. Box mattress is not recommended for this bed
- Whole Bed is Linen Fabric
Solid Wood Mate’s & Captain’s Bed Twin with Storage Drawers and Trundle (Walnut)
The Solid Wood Mate and Captain Trundle Bed is made using quite a tough and strong material, that is, both rubber wood and plywood made from the pine plant. This strong material is what gives the trundle bed its large-weight carrying capacity; the trundle bed can support a maximum weight of 300 lbs.
The trundle bed placed underneath the parent bed includes 3 large drawers. These spacious drawers add to the style and functionality of the bedroom. They can be used for storage of items such as clothing, books and kids’ toys. The wrapping up of storage and sleeping space, all in a single design, helps a person save up on a lot of space. Furthermore, the assembling process of the trundle bed comes in a simple guide.
- SOLID WOOD CAPTAIN BED : Made of MDF, rubber wood and pine plywood, it can support weight up to 300lbs
- TRUNDLE BED TWIN: It features a pull-out twin trundle bed with 3 functioning spacious drawers to bring style and functionality to any bedroom
- VERSATILITY: 3-in-1 Captain Bed provides sleeping space and storage all wrapped in one elegant design to save space and look great. The drawers store clothes, toys, books, or other kids’ room accessories.
- ENLARGE SPACE: When space is at a premium, our captain bed can offer you room to spare. Especially suitable for the kids in family to climb up and down
- LOCAL WAREHOUSE: Only 3-7 days to get your products. Close to Atlanta of GA, Dayton of NJ, City of Industry of CA , it will be more quickly. Offer 6 month warranty.Easy to assemble with guide
Kings Brand White Metal Twin Size Platform Bed Frame with Roll Out Trundle
This trundle bed can be defined as the real mark of sophistication. Its beautiful design adds to the elegance of a bedroom. The construction of the Kings Brand White Metal Twin Size Platform Bed Frame With Roll Out Trundle has been done using a sturdy metal. Such sturdy metal gives the bed its high durability and long lasting nature, with the bed lasting for more than 10 years.
The platform of the trundle bed is constructed with 7 metal slats. These slats help to provide additional support to the users. Also, box springs are not required for this type of trundle bed. The trundle bed is also very spacious, having dimensions of 73″L x 39.5″W x 3″H.
- Kings Brand White Metal Twin Size Platform Bed Frame With Roll Out Trundle.
- Beautiful and elegant, the Kings Brand Platform Bed adds an aura of sophistication to any bedroom.
- This bed is constructed from the sturdy metal, which can last for many years.
- Includes platform with 7 metal slats, (No need for a box spring or separate)
- Dimensions: 77" L x 41" W x 17" H.
Trundle day beds have a lot of benefits. The following are the four main benefits of trundle day beds;
1.) Saves Space
The main advantage of trundle day beds is that they help to save on floor space. When a person purchases a trundle day bed, they purchase a two-in-one bed. Both the trundle bed and the parent bed take up the same space, as would have been occupied by a single bed.
2.) Convenient for Families with Kids
Trundle beds are very convenient for families in which kids are present. They can be used by babies and teenagers. Trundle day beds ensure that the kids always stay close to their parents. This is especially important when kids fall sick and require more care.
3.) Elegant Designs
More so, trundle day beds add to the style and beautiful design of the bedroom. They are usually woven with fabric, made from wood carvings or from well-designed metal iron. Such beautiful designs add to the appeal of the bedrooms in which the trundle beds are kept.
4.) Cost Saving
Buying a trundle day bed is cheap. The alternative of trundle day beds would be buying two separate regular beds, which would not only require more space but would also be expensive. Buying trundle beds, therefore, is budget friendly as it cuts on costs that would otherwise have been incurred on buying separate beds.
Best 3 Trundle Day Beds
The Novogratz Tallulah Tufted Daybed and Trundle bed is made with a classic vintage design. The trundle day bed is woven using soft velvet, which has beautifully designed rounded lines. The soft velvet upholstery also comes in different colors; pink, grey and blue. A person can, therefore, choose the color that fits either their preference or the room’s theme color.
The trundle bed also includes a slat system made using bentwood. The main purpose of this slat system is to provide enough ventilation for the mattress placed on the trundle bed. Ventilation is very important as it helps to keep the mattress fresh and new for a long time. The Novogratz Tallulah Tufted Daybed and Trundle bed comes with a pull-out trundle. This pull-out trundle can be fitted with two mattresses. The mattresses are usually acquired separately.
The maximum weight that can be supported by this bed is 250 lbs. A sturdy metal frame is used to make this trundle bed, giving it the large weight capacity. The Novogratz Tallulah Tufted Daybed and Trundle bed can be used as both a bed and a sofa.
- Elegant, chic and vintage silhouette with rounded lines and button-tufted details in soft velvet upholstery
- Features a bentwood slat system that provides great ventilation for your mattress and fits two twin size mattresses with its pull-out trundle (mattresses sold separately)
- Made in a sturdy wood frame and upholstered in ultra-soft velvet in your choice of pink, blue or grey
- Ships in two boxes. Wipes clean with a soft cloth
- Daybed dimensions: 85.5”L x 48”W x 37”H. Trundle dimensions: 75”L x 40”W x 11.5”H. Daybed weight limit: 400 lb. Trundle weight limit: 250 lb.
DHP Manila Metal Framed Daybed with Trundle, Twin – White
The modern design of this trundle bed gives the bedroom a timeless spark of elegance. The DHP Manila Metal Framed Daybed with Trundle, Twin bed is best suited for use by kids and any other guests. The bed comes with a pull out trundle that provides additional space for sleeping.
The bed has been made using a sturdy metal frame, which has metal slats for providing additional integrated support. The metal slats also improve the ventilation system around the mattress, keeping it fresh and new for many years.
The parent bed can be fitted with a single twin size mattress of up to 8 inches, while the trundle day bed can be fitted with a single twin size mattress of up to 6 inches. This metal frame trundle day bed is, therefore, very convenient for even the tiniest of spaces.
- Multi-functional piece with Victorian finial detailing ideal for small living spaces and accommodating guests
- Product dimensions: 77.5"L x 41.5"W x 41.5"H; Daybed Weight Limit: 400 pounds; Trundle Weight Limit: 225 pounds
- Designed to fit one standard twin size mattress on daybed (maximum 8 inches) and one standard twin size mattress on trundle (maximum 6 inches) – both sold separately
- Sturdy metal frame and slats on the daybed the trundle that deliver additional support and durability. Trundle includes four (4) easy-glide casters – 2 locking and 2 non-locking.
- Ships in one box and assembles easily
Hillsdale Furniture Madison Daybed with with Pull Out Trundle
The structure of the Hillsdale Furniture Madison Daybed with Pull Out Trundle is mainly made of both wood and metal. The metal making the trundle bed is usually traditionally decorated, while the wood is used to make the bed posts. To add on to the elegance, the metal part is designed with a black finish while the wood posts are designed with wood posts.
This piece of furniture does not come with a mattress; a person has to get it separately. An assembling process is also required. Hillsdale Furniture Madison Daybed with Pull Out Trundle beds can be used by kids, guests or even for extra seating. It is simply the elegant trundle day bed to have in your bedroom.
- A classic mix of contemporary and traditional style adorn this wood and metal daybed with trundle featuring wood posts complimented by a metal frame
- Rich cherry finish and textured black metal scrolls bring style and sophistication to your room
- Includes daybed and pull out trundle; two twin mattresses required, not included
- Overall Dimensions: 42.5H x 81.5W x 40.25D
- Assembly Required
What is A Pop Up Trundle?
Most trundle beds have heights lower than the parent beds. However, some trundle beds are designed in such a way that they can be lifted higher, or popped up, than their normal positions. These types of trundle beds are what are referred to as pop up trundle beds. The fact that they can pop up (or, their heights raised), while trundle beds always remain at the same lower position, is what makes pop up trundles different from the regular trundle beds.
Pop up trundle beds can be assembled and set up quite easily. They provide enough comfort, just as regular beds do. Raising and lowering of the trundle beds is done by pulling the lever, usually placed on the trundle bed’s side. When the pop up trundle beds are raised to the same height as that of the parent bed, they can be placed side-by-side to provide an even wider sleeping space.
Just like the trundle beds, pop up trundles are available in different designs and functionality. The following are the 2 best pop up trundles that have had the best reviews from customers.
Two Amazing Pop Up Trundles
Kings Brand Furniture Twin Size Steel Day Bed (Daybed) Frame
with Pop Up Trundle & Mattresses
This pop up trundle package includes a trundle, a twin size daybed and their 2 respective mattresses. The platform has been designed with metal slats, which provide more support and safety. The material making up the pop up trundle is heavy duty steel, which makes the bed long lasting and highly durable.
The Kings Brand Furniture Twin Size Steel Day Bed can be used by guests, sleepovers and even children. The pop up trundle is very easy to lift, and can be easily collapsed beneath the parent daybed when not in use. The setting up and assembling process of the pop up trundle is also very simple.
When both the pop up trundle and the parent bed are fully opened, they fit the same height. A person can, therefore, place them side-by-side to provide more sleeping surface. Alternatively, a person can leave the pop up trundle at its initial lower height, if they prefer it so.
Kings Brand Furniture Twin Size Steel Day Bed (Daybed) Frame with Pop Up Trundle
This particular pop up trundle bed is similar to the Kings Brand Furniture Twin Size Steel Day Bed. The platform of the pop up trundle includes several metal slats, for providing more support. The entire trundle structure is made using sturdy steel frame, which makes the bed highly durable and long lasting.
The pop up trundle of the Kings Brand Furniture Twin Size Black Metal Platform Bed can be easily collapsed and fitted underneath the parent daybed. However, unlike the Kings Brand Furniture Twin Size Steel Day, this trundle bed package does not include a mattress. A person has to get the mattresses separately. Also, setting up the pop up trundle bed calls for some simple assembling.
- This listing includes twin size day bed , Trundle and 2 Twin Size Mattresses.
- The daybed includes a platform with metal slats for support, Designed for long life and safety, Collapsible trundle fits beneath daybed. Trundle lifts up easily, Ideal for children, sleepovers and guests. The two beds are the same height when opened,
- Trundle Beds are a smart choice for many reasons. The metal trundle bed set can be used in the following ways: Space Saving Single - Leave the trundle rolled under the high rise frame and you literally add square feet to your home.
- Roll the trundle out but leave it in the down position, Or it can be lifted to the same height as the daybed. The metal frame has holes on the front and back so a headboard and footboard can be attached. Simple assembly required. Dimensions: Daybed: 77'' L x 41'' W x 17''H. Trundle : 72
- MATTRESSES: 312 innerspring coil unit, with 13 gauge unit and 6 gauge border, 1" stitch shoddy pad on each side, Damask fabric-class B, Quilted with 2 x 1/2" Polly Foam. Height between 7" and 8".
The Benefits of a Bunk Bed with Trundle
In simple terms, a bunk bed can be defined as a set of two or more beds arranged in a vertical manner, such that they all take up the space of a single bed. Some bunk beds are fitted with trundle beds as their additional beds. These types of bunk beds have several benefits, as discussed below;
1.) Cost Saving
Bunk beds go for relatively cheaper prices, compared to other beds. The cost saving aspect is due to the fact that a person is not required to purchase two separate beds. More so, since they take up the space of a single bed, a person does not have to build additional rooms or a bigger apartment so as to accommodate separate beds.
2.) Space Saving
Bunk beds take up the space of a single bed, which helps to save on space. The saved space can be used for installing other bedding items, such as, wardrobes, drawers, mirrors, seats and the like.
Most bunk beds with trundles are designed with storage compartments at the side of the trundle. These compartments can be used for storing beddings materials, such as sheets and pillows.
Bunk Bed with Trundle
Bedz King Stairway Bunk Beds Twin over Full with
4 Drawers in the Steps and a Twin Trundle, Cappuccino
The Twin over Full Stairway Bunk Bed packages includes a single full bed and a single twin bed. To facilitate easier access of the top bunk when the bed is fully opened, a built-in stairway is included in the gap between the full bed and the twin bed. The use of the built-in stairway, rather than the regular ladder, adds to the elegance and the modern feel of this bunk bed.
The stairway of the Twin over Full Stairway Bunk Bed also includes 4 built-in drawers, where bedding materials can be stored for easier access. The trundle bed can accommodate a mattress of a maximum depth size of 7 inches, while the main king/parent bed fits a mattress of up to 9 inches deep. However, the bunk bed with trundle does not come with the mattresses.
This bed has been proven safe for use by kids, teens, and even visiting sleepovers. It has been made using strong Brazilian pine, which gives the bed its sturdy and firm structure. The assembling process of the bed has also been made easier, since the bed package comes with the required tools for assembling.
- Twin over Full Stairway Bunk Bed converts to 1 Twin Bed and 1 Full Bed, but the top bunk foot board will have the gap that is the entryway for the stairway
- Built-in Stairway instead of ladder for easy access to the top bunk with 4 drawers built into Stairway and a Twin Trundle. Twin Trundle dimensions are approx 9 1/2 high x 74 1/2 long x 41 inches deep. Will accommodate a mattress up to 7 inches deep - The Bedz King mattress is 9 inches deep and will not fit the trundle
- Finish is child-safe, Bunk Bed is made from Solid Brazilian Pine from sustainable plantations - no particle board.. Internal measurements of the Drawers are approx 18 wide x 15 1/2 deep x 8 1/2 inches high
- Assembly required with included tools, SALE IS FOR BUNK BED and TRUNDLE ONLY EXCLUDES MATTRESSES
- Bunk bed is 69 1/2 high x 103 1/4 long x 59 inches deep. bottom is 10 3/4 inches off the floor - space between bottom slats and top bunk slats (excluding the mattress) is 38 inches
WE Furniture Solid Wood Twin Bunk Bed with Trundle Bed – Gray
The gray WE Furniture Solid Wood Twin Bunk Bed with Trundle Bed has a beautifully painted finish, which gives the bed its beautiful silhouette design. The structure has been fitted with wood slats, which provide additional support.
Separation of the bunk bed from the trundle bed is usually simple and safe. The bunk bed does not require any box springs. More so, the bunk bed package does not include any mattress or bedding. A person is required to buy these separately.
The sturdy solid wood of the bunk bed and the trundle bed can support a maximum weight of 250 lbs. These bunk beds greatly reduce on space, and provide additional and comfortable sleeping surfaces for either kids or visitors.
Furthermore, the bunk includes guardrails, for added safety of the beds, especially when kids are the users. Another positive feature about the WE Furniture Solid Wood Twin Bunk Bed with Trundle Bed is that it is designed with a beautiful front cover. This cover helps to maintain the clean and neat appearance of the mattresses and the beddings.
- Bunk bed dimensions: 62” H x 39” D x 75” L, Twin beds support up to 250 Ibs. each
- Made with responsibly-sourced solid pine wood
- No box spring required, Bunkie board recommended; 5”- 9” mattress thickness recommended
- Integrated guardrails and ladder included
- Use as a bunk bed or unstack to display two twin beds side-by-side
Merax Metal Bunk Bed with Trundle, Twin Over Twin bunk Bed with Safety Guard Rails , Silver
The structure of the Merax Metal Bunk Bed with Trundle is designed with a sturdy steel construction, with no box springs being required. Such a solid steel construction makes this bunk bed a durable and long lasting bed. The bed also includes several built-in slats which not only provide additional support, but also ensure that there is enough air circulation to the mattresses.
The bunk bed has also been designed with 2 ladders, each on the side of the bed, for easier access of the top bunk. The metal frame consists of slatted guardrails for additional safety of the bunk bed. These guardrails not only ensure that the top bunkers are safe, but also prevent beddings, such as pillows, from falling.
Furthermore, the metal frames used in making the bunk bed are furnished with beautiful black, or white or silver finishes. These finishes add to the elegance and beautiful outlook of the bunk bed. Also, the finishes are usually wear-resistant, hence, help in protecting the surface of the bed from scratches. This is indeed a simple, yet classic and modern piece of furniture.
- 【Steel Construction】Metal bunk bed frame with Quality tested sturdy steel construction, features solid support and heavy-duty strength built in mattress slats - no box spring needed
- 【Bunk bed with Trundle】The bunkbed frames with a twin hideaway trundle bed is easy to create the extra sleep space when needed, It’s suitable for staying with your friends or classmates. The trundle includes four 4 easy-glide casters – 2 lockings and 2 non-locking
- 【Secured Guardrail and 2 side ladders】This metal bunk bed sports durable metal frame, finished in black/ white/ sliver with 13" high safety slatted guardrails that keep top bunk sleepers safe and prevent pillows from falling; Also includes two ladders on each side for easy climbing
- 【Overall Dimensions】77.9"L x 40.9"W x 63"H. Weight Capacity: 200 lbs for upper bed, 250 lbs for lower bed and Trundle. Recommed mattress thickness: Upper bed/Trundle: 6'', Down bed: 8-10''
- 【Wear-Resistant Finish】Metal bunk bed frame, features a stunning silver, black and white power coated finish formulated for wear-resistance to protect the surface from scratches
8 Other Space Saving Bed Ideas
The above types of trundle beds are an effective way of saving up on space in the bedroom. However, there are other creative ways in which a person can save space in the bedroom. Consider the following 8 other creative space saving bed ideas that you can apply;
1.) Murphy Bed
Also referred to as a pull-down bed, this type of bed is a very convenient addition for small bedroom spaces. A Murphy bed is simply a wall bed, which can be folded into the wall with great ease. Alternatively, a Murphy bed can be folded into specific types of cabinets.
Also, Murphy beds come in different sizes. For instance, there are king sizes, single and double-sized Murphy beds. These beds can also be custom-designed with cabinets and accent light, to add on the bedroom glamour, while saving on space at the same time.
Folding the Murphy beds into the wall or cabinet helps to create more space in the bedroom. The created space can then be used for playing with kids, or for other activities. When the bed is needed, it can simply be pulled down and then used for sleeping.
2.) Murphy Cabinet Bed
Murphy Cabinet beds can be folded and fitted in even the tiniest of spaces, where other space saving beds cannot fit. After storage of the bed, the cabinet usually resembles a side table, or a buffet. If a person intends to expand the bed frame for sleeping, then they need to pull out the cabinet door, in the same way that a drawer is pulled. The mattress of the Murphy Cabinet bed is usually folded inside. When the bed frame has been expanded, the mattress can then be pulled out so as to lay on it, for sleeping.
Murphy Cabinet beds help to save on space since they can be greatly compacted when not needed. They can be fitted in any rooms with height ceilings. The installation process of these beds is also very simple, and they can be used as TV stands and side tables.
3.) Bunk Beds
Bunk beds are very ideal type of beds for those homes with big families. They usually consist of a set of beds, built in a vertical arrangement, similar to a skycraper. Bunk beds are especially convenient for families with kids, and fewer bedrooms or small bedroom spaces.
Bunk beds save up on a lot of bedroom space since all the stacked up beds take up the space of one bed. There are bunk beds for two, three and even four people; and all these beds take up the same space as one bed. These beds, therefore, save up on more floor space, which can be used for other things like installing pieces of furniture, drawers and desks.
4.) Folding Beds
Folding beds are also known as sofa beds or pull-out sofas. These are sofas or couches which can be opened ( or, pulled out) to make a bed. They consist of a metal frame which makes it possible to open and unfold the couch to a bed. A thin mattress is also hidden below the sofa’s cushions, which also unfolds when the metal frame is pulled out.
Folding beds save up on a lot of space, and can be used by visiting sleepovers and guests. These types of beds are commonly used in hostels and guest rooms, but can also be used in a home setting. They are available in different colors and sizes, to fit each person’s specific tastes and needs.
5.) Folding Floor Mattresses
The folding floor mattress is made for use on the floor, rather than on the bed. They do not require any base or platform on which to be placed. However, some of the folding floor mattresses can be used on folding beds, if the dimensions of the folding bed match with those of the mattresses.
These mattresses are available in the queen size and any other sizes below the queen size. They are usually light in weight, which makes them easily portable. Furthermore, these mattresses go for a cheaper cost, compared with other traditional full-sized mattresses.
Folding floor mattresses are ideal for use by overnight visitors. Since they are usually small and lightweight, these mattresses can also be taken along on excursions. More so, they can be used as chair beds for kids and teen rooms.
6.) Folding Sleeper Chair
Folding Sleeper chairs can be used by all people, whether with families or living alone. These sleeper chairs have become a trend in the modern world, being designed in sleek and classic styles. They can be used as a comfy chair during the day, and as a bed during the night.
For those living alone, they can simply opt for a folding sleep chair in place of a bed. This way, they not only save on the costs that they would have incurred purchasing a bed, but also save up on space that would have been otherwise taken by a bed. Folding sleeper chairs can also be used as work loungers during the day.
7.) Platform Bed with Storage
A platform bed consists of storage compartments built in the bed structure. These storage compartments may be drawers, containers or simply a space where the mattress is usually kept.
Platform beds are usually made with wood and contain beautiful upholstery and finishes to create beautifully designed beds. These beds also come in different sizes to fit the different needs of the users.
More so, they save up on a lot of space. This is because they include storage compartments, where beddings and other items can be stored, rather than the items being left lying on the floor. The platforms beds are also very sturdy and can last for several years.
8.) Air Mattress
Air mattresses are also known as inflatable mattresses. They usually come in all sizes, with the maximum size being the queen size. They are cheaper than other regular mattresses, yet offer the same level of comfort and satisfaction.
Air mattresses can be used permanently as a regular bed, or as a temporary bag for visitors. They can also be folded in a backpack and taken along for camping trips. The main advantage of an air mattress is that a person has the freedom to set it to their preferred firmness or softness. Adding more air to the mattress makes it more firm, while reducing air makes it more plush and soft.
Trundle beds really come in handy in bedrooms with small spaces. Simply put, the manner in which trundle beds save on space is a piece of cake. You no longer have to shy away from having sleepovers, especially if space is a major problem in your home. After all, trundle beds have got you covered!